Opening and Closing Day
Opening Day happens the Sunday of every session of camp. This is the time where we get your camper checked in, they meet their counselor and get ready for an awesome time at camp! The following are some important details concerning Opening Day. If you have any emails concerning Opening or Closing Day, please email email@example.com.
In order to speed up the check-in process, please login to your Parent Portal to check the following:
- Click on View Itinerary and then on the Session that you camper is attending.
- Make sure that there is no balance due. All balances were due on June 3rd; if you have not paid your balance please do so immediately. Your camper will not be admitted into camp if you have not paid your balance.
- Click to sign the Health Form and Conditions of Enrollment if you haven’t already done so.
- If you need to add any medication that your camper will be taking at camp, please do so by clicking on the Health Form
- You can click to add Pre-Orders to order items from the Honey Hut [Camp Store] to be picked up when you arrive.
- To add any funds for the Honey Hut, click on Store Account. To save time when going to the Honey Hut, deposit funds before you arrive at camp.
Opening Day Check-In
Here are some details about your camper’s arrival. Click here for directions to Camp Firwood. If you are traveling north through Skagit County, please check the WSDOT Skagit River Bridge Detour information and account for any additional driving time.
- Check-in is from 2:30pm to 4:30pm at Camp Firwood [Note: check in will start 30 minutes later than last year].
- Please arrive during the check-in time. Before check-in starts, we will we be preparing for camper and parent arrival.
- Due to the large number of people checking in, please leave any pets at home.
- Any change or emergency that affects drop-off time or location will be emailed to you.
- The speed limit on the Firwood road is 10mph, please drive slowly due to incoming and outgoing traffic. Staff will be stationed to help you with parking.
Opening Day Steps
Our staff will guide you through the following steps to check-in your camper:
Step 1: Health Screening
Each camper must check in with a Health Screener to look over the Health Form, check in any medications and discuss any allergies. Please have any medication that your camper will be taking a camp ready to turn in.
Step 2: Cabin Assignment
After you have completed the Health Screening, check in with the Men’s and Women’s Lead counselors. They will call down your counselor who will greet you and help you move into your cabin.
All campers will be required to wear PFDs [life jackets] for all aquatic activities. If a camper would like to free swim, a lifeguard will be available during Free Time for campers to complete the Swim Challenge and be able to swim without a PFD. There will be no Swim Challenge during Opening Day.
At the end of each session, pick-Up for campers will be at the Fircreek Day Camp Parking Lot [4604 Cable St. Bellingham, WA, 98229]. Click here for Directions to Fircreek Day Camp.
- Pick up for sessions #101, #102, #103, #201, #203, #204 and #301 is on Saturday between 9:15am and 10:00am.
- Pick up for sessions #104, #202 and #302 is on Friday between 9:15am and 10:00am.
- An automated message with current information will be placed at 360-733-0959.
- A message will be placed on the campfirwood.org, thefirs.org, Facebook and Twitter.
- If time allows, an email will be sent to parents notifying them of changes
- When picking up campers, please be on the lookout for other moving vehicles. Be aware of traffic when crossing Geneva Street.
- When campers are riding in a bus or van, always remain seated when vehicle is in motion.
- Always wear a seat belt when one is available.
- Do not reach outside windows of vehicle.
- No yelling, screaming or horseplay in vehicles.
Campers will be transported from camp to the parking lot in multiple bus and van loads, please be patient. Please be on time to pick up your camper. There will be opportunities to purchase the Camp Firwood DVD from your campers week and clearance merchandise from the Honey Hut as well.
To notify parents of any emergency or change in camper pick-up or drop off times or location, the following steps will be taken:
Safety is an important concern when dropping off or picking up campers. The following safety guidelines should be observed: